Sunday, May 24, 2026

Meta begins to remove users under 16 years old in Australia, as ordered by the new law

  • aplicacion - banner 728px

The tech giant Meta announced this Thursday that it began removing those under 16 from Instagram, Threads and Facebook in Australia, ahead of the entry into force in that country of the first global ban on social media for children. Canberra has demanded that major online platforms, including TikTok and YouTube, block internet users under the age of 16 before December 10th, when the ban will begin to take effect through new legislation. Tech companies face fines of 49.5 million Australian dollars (about 32 million USD) if they do not adopt "reasonable measures" to comply with regulations.

You can also read: Brussels studies regulating the use of algorithms and Artificial Intelligence at work

"Although we are working hard to remove all users we understand to be under 16 by December 10, compliance with the law will be an ongoing process with multiple facets," said a Meta spokesperson. Younger users can save and download their histories on the internet, the spokesperson for the American technology company indicated. "Before you turn 16, we will notify you that you will soon be able to regain access to these platforms, and your content will be restored exactly as you left it," says a message from Meta to affected users. It is expected that hundreds of thousands of teenagers will be affected by the ban, as Instagram alone has around 350,000 Australian users aged between 13 and 15 years old. Some popular apps and websites, such as Roblox, Pinterest, and WhatsApp, are exempt, but the list is still under review. Meta stated that it will comply with Australian law, but asked that app stores be responsible for verifying the age of users, instead of social media platforms. "The government should require app stores to verify age and obtain parental authorization each time teenagers under 16 download apps, eliminating the need for teenagers to verify their age multiple times on different platforms," said their spokesperson. YouTube has also criticized the Australian ban. The video streaming giant stated this week that the new law would make young people in that country "less safe," as those under 16 could continue to visit the website without needing an account and thus avoid the platform's content filters. However, Australian Communications Minister, Anika Wells, called his argument "strange". – A matter of «self-esteem» – "If YouTube reminds us all that it is not safe and that there is content not appropriate for users with age restrictions on its website, that is a problem that YouTube must solve," Wells assured this week. The minister told reporters that some Australian teenagers had committed suicide because algorithms "clung" to them, directing them to content that undermined their self-esteem. "This specific law will not solve all the harm that occurs on the internet, but it will make it easier for children to seek a better version of themselves," he said. Last week, a network rights advocacy group filed a legal appeal to stop the ban. The Digital Freedom Project stated that it had challenged the new regulations in the Australian High Court, calling them an "unfair" attack on freedom of expression. Australian authorities expect rebellious teenagers to do everything possible to circumvent the laws. The guidelines warn that they could try to use false identifications, or use artificial intelligence to make their photos look like those of older people. Therefore, platforms have been required to devise their own means to prevent this from happening, although "probably no solution will be 100% effective", according to the country's internet security watchdog. There is great interest in knowing whether Australia's broad restrictions will work, as regulators around the world grapple with the potential dangers of social media. Malaysia indicated that it planned to prevent those under 16 from registering for social media profiles next year, while New Zealand will introduce a similar ban.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Young man charged in the death of teenager in Villa Altagracia

The National Police reported that, after search, tracking, and intelligence work, Raudy Jiménez Dicent (a) "Ayendi", 24 years old, was voluntarily surrendered, who is identified as the alleged responsible for the death of the adolescent Abril de Jesús Puello, 16 years old. The young man's surrender took place on the night of this Friday in […]

Cibao Association announces winners of its Competitive Funds with RD$20 million allocated to social impact

With this delivery, the program's economic allocation amounts to RD$95,000,000 since its first call, to co-finance 76 ASFL projects nationwide Santo Domingo.— Cibao Association announced the winning projects of the ninth call for the José Santiago Reinoso Lora Competitive Funds for Sustainable Development 2025-2026, with an investment of RD$20 million destined to support 12 initiatives […]

Gabbie Gonzalez arrested for plotting the murder of Jack Avery, former boy band member and father of her daughter

American influencer Gabbie González, known for her lifestyle and motherhood content on social media, has been arrested in Los Angeles accused of participating in an alleged plot to assassinate her ex-partner, singer Jack Avery, former member of the boy band 'Why Don't We' and father of the daughter they have in common. Authorities also arrested […]

ADP claims sectors have tried to "sabotage" Performance Evaluation

Santo Domingo. – The Dominican Association of Teachers (ADP) assured that various sectors have tried to discredit and “sabotage” the Teacher Performance Evaluation process, while informing that the sixth stage, corresponding to classroom observation, is progressing steadily and has already exceeded 56% execution. During his intervention in the program La Voz del CEN, which is […]

Increase in fare between Higüey and Santo Domingo generates user complaints

Complaints about the increase in fares on the routes connecting Higüey with Santo Domingo and San Pedro de Macorís have intensified in recent days, according to reports from passengers who regularly use these routes. According to reports, the Association of Transport Owners of La Altagracia Province (APTpra) would have arranged an increase of RD$100 in […]

Cacerolazo in Ciudad Juan Bosch due to lack of potable water

Santo Domingo.-Residents of Ciudad Juan Bosch held a pot-banging protest on Monday night to protest the lack of potable water, a service they claim has been interrupted for more than 24 hours. The community members stated that the situation has generated discomfort and desperation among the families in the sector, directly affecting domestic tasks and […]