Tuesday, February 17, 2026

JCE unveils new smart ID card with chip, digital identity and high security standards

Santo Domingo.– The president of the Central Electoral Board (JCE), Román Jáquez Liranzo, led the formal start of the process of renewing the identity and electoral card, which he defined as a state project aimed at strengthening national identity, sovereignty, and democratic integrity.

Jáquez Liranzo explained that the new ID card incorporates latest generation technology, including an integrated chip with advanced cryptography, designed to prevent cloning and forgery of the document. He pointed out that this chip will allow functions such as certified digital signature, interoperability between institutions and, under international agreements, its possible use as a travel document in emergency situations, in accordance with the standards of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), without replacing the passport.

Read more: JCE will deliver the first new identity card to President Abinader today

One of the main advances of the new document is the incorporation of the digital ID, which will allow citizens to carry their identification on their mobile phone through an official application, strengthening digital identity in sectors such as finance, health, telecommunications and public services. However, the president of the JCE clarified that to access the digital version it will be mandatory to previously have the physical ID. The renewal process also includes a rigorous cleansing of the Civil Registry and the Electoral Roll, initiated in December 2024, with the aim of ensuring that only people who meet the constitutional and legal requirements receive the new document. The implementation will be carried out in two stages: an initial controlled phase during the first quarter of 2026 and a second full execution stage starting in April, organized by month of birth, until March 2027, a date that will coincide with the 103rd anniversary of the Central Electoral Board.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Banreservas Cultural Center announces the Fifth Theater Season dedicated to Giovanny Cruz

Santo Domingo. - The Cultural Center Banreservas announced the Fifth Theater Season, dedicated to the outstanding theater artist, director and producer Giovanny Cruz, to be held in Santo Domingo and Santiago from March 7 to 29, with a calendar that will include eight plays of different genres. The programming will take place at the Sala […]

Hubieres has called on the Government not to abandon Independence corridor drivers

SANTO DOMINGO.- The president of the National Federation of Transportation the New Option, (Fenatrano), Juan Hubieres, called on the Government not to abandon the drivers of the Independence corridor. The unionist said that the authorities have forgotten hundreds of drivers who are destitute. You may be interested in: Hubieres demand to start construction of the […]

Masha is released, says Diego Pesqueira

Santo Domingo.- The urban exponent Ashley Mariel Victoriano, known as Masha, who was shot early in the morning of Monday, February 16, was released on the afternoon of this Tuesday, as confirmed to this media outlet by the spokesperson for the National Police, Diego Pesqueira. Masha was arrested after the vehicle she was traveling in […]

More than 395 thousand hospitalizations in the DR could have been prevented

Santo Domingo, D.R. - The Superintendency of Health and Occupational Risks (SISALRIL) and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) presented a report on Avoidable Hospitalizations (HE) in the Family Health Insurance (SFS), during the period 2019-2024. The results revealed that in five years there were 395,248 hospitalizations that could have been prevented with timely outpatient […]

One of those involved in violent assault captured on video in broad daylight in Santiago is delivered

Santiago. – One of the two men linked to the violent assault against a woman, which occurred on Saturday afternoon in the El Paraíso urbanization, Padres Las Casas sector, voluntarily surrendered to the National Police, after the event was captured on video and widely disseminated on social media. The detainee was identified as "Luis Rafael […]

Guzmán Peralta retires and is appointed police advisor to the Executive Branch

Santo Domingo.- Major General Ramón Antonio Guzmán Peralta was placed in an honorable retirement situation after the cessation of his duties as general director of the National Police and appointed advisor to the President of the Republic on police matters. The provision was adopted by President Luis Abinader through Decree No. 111-26, which also establishes […]