Monday, May 18, 2026

Lula claims that Celac is "ceasing to exist" because of the extreme right.

São Paulo.- The president of Brazil, Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, stated this Thursday that the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) is "practically ceasing to exist" due to pressure from the extreme right. "The Celac is practically ceasing to exist because the growth of the extreme right is scaring away countries," Lula said at an event to award a posthumous honorary doctorate to former Uruguayan President Pepe Mujica. Lula lamented that what happened in the 2000s is not happening now, when the left and right-wing presidents of Latin America united to create Celac and the Union of South American Nations (Unasur). "Even (Álvaro) Uribe, who was considered far-right, actively participated in Unasur," recalled Lula, who was one of the promoters of the creation of these regional forums and is one of the few leaders who will participate in the Celac summit next Saturday in Bogotá. We recommend reading:

Lula advocates for the unity of South America

The Brazilian ruler considered that part of the failure of regional institutions is explained because they lack "solid mechanisms", such as a bank. And he emphasized that South America, if it remains divided, "has no chance" against the great powers. The Brazilian leader also criticized that there are countries that believe that the President of the United States, Donald Trump, is going to solve the problems of South America. "We are the ones who are going to solve the problems of South America," he added. More specifically, he invited the countries of the region to come together to decide that critical minerals and rare earths should be used "to recover the citizenship of the Latin American people" and that the extractivist model of the colonial era should not be repeated, which "left a hole" in South America with the search for gold and iron. So far, the only presidents who have confirmed their attendance at the Celac summit are Lula, the Uruguayan Yamandú Orsi, and the host, Gustavo Petro.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]