Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Senate confirms Markwayne Mullin to head U.S. Homeland Security.

Washington.- Oklahoma Republican Senator Markwayne Mullin was confirmed this Monday to head the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to replace outgoing Secretary Kristi Noem, who was removed after directing the controversial immigration policy of President Donald Trump's Administration.

With a vote of 54 in favor and 45 against, Mullin received parliamentary approval for a new Republican figure to assume this key position within Trump's cabinet.

Mullin ends a 13-year career in Congress, where he was known as a key negotiator between both chambers to pass Trump's tax plan in 2025.

Furthermore, he has generated expectations of a calmer or more pragmatic leadership on immigration issues in view of his confirmation in the Senate.

The president chose the Republican senator from Oklahoma to replace Noem at the beginning of the month and now his appointment is official, with all Republicans voting in favor, as well as the support of Democrats John Fetterman of Pennsylvania and Martin Heinrich of New Mexico.

Also p

"My goal in six months is that we are not the main news every day. My goal is for people to understand that we are out there, that we protect them and that we work with them," Mullin said last week when interviewed by the Senate.

The new secretary arrives at the Department in the midst of a crisis caused by a partial shutdown, which began on February 14, after divisions between Republicans and Democrats to approve a budget due to a lack of agreements regarding changes in the control and limits for the agents of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Service (ICE).

The closure led to the absence of transportation personnel at the country's main airports and has caused enormous lines at security checkpoints and delays of up to two hours on hundreds of flights.

Noem spearheaded a tough immigration policy that included significant deployments of federal agents in Minneapolis as part of a series of interventions that generated controversy after two U.S. citizens died during operations in January.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]