Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Several organizations ask the U.S. Senate to halt a million-dollar plan for immigration agencies

  • aplicacion - banner 728px

Los Angeles.- A coalition of 164 pro-immigrant and civil rights organizations urged the U.S. Senate on Thursday to reject a Republican proposal that contemplates allocating up to $140 billion in the next decade to the immigration agencies ICE and CBP, amid criticism of the increase in detentions and deaths in custody. With a vote of 30-48, Republican senators approved this Thursday a budget measure that seeks to inject funds into the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). The resolution paves the way for committees in both chambers to authorize funds and bypass the obstruction of Democrats who have refused to fund these agencies unless changes are implemented following the death of two U.S. citizens in protests in Minneapolis.
Varias organizaciones le piden al Senado de EE.UU. frenar un plan millonario para las agencias migratorias
Fotografía de archivo de un agente del Servicio de Inmigración y Control de Aduanas de EE.UU. (ICE). EFE/EPA/ Olga Fedorova
Naureen Shah, an executive at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), also lamented that 17 immigrants have died this year in the custody of Immigration and questioned the "reckless campaign of detentions and deportations".

We recommend reading: Trump says he feels no pressure to end the war: "I have all the time in the world"

Criticisms of the budget proposal

Meanwhile, Juliana Macedo do Nascimento, from United We Dream, questioned whether this new injection for immigration adds to "the 170 billion from last year." Ignacia Rodriguez Kmec, policy counsel at the National Immigration Law Center (NILC), called the additional millionaire allocation to finance the Donald Trump administration's mass detention agenda a "shame." "Instead of fueling the cruelty of ICE and CBP with more of our taxpayers' dollars, any legislation that Congress considers must include a pathway to citizenship for the millions of immigrants who make this country thrive," he added.

Artículo Anterior
Artículo Siguiente

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]