Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Trump announces that the largest prisoner exchange between Kyiv and Moscow has been completed.

International Editorial.- The President of the United States, Donald Trump, confirmed this Friday that the prisoner exchange process between Ukraine and Russia has been completed, as agreed in the negotiation process between both countries.

"A major prisoner exchange between Russia and Ukraine has just been completed. It will be going into effect shortly. Congratulations to both sides for this negotiation. Could this be leading to something big?" said Trump in a brief message on his Truth Social network, in which he gives no further details on the matter.

Read more: Donald Trump announces posthumous pardon for Pete Rose

This process has not been confirmed, for the moment, by the governments of Ukraine and Russia, who recently reached an agreement to carry out the largest exchange of prisoners since the invasion of Ukraine by Russia began.

Moscow and Kyiv announced yesterday that they had exchanged the lists of a thousand prisoners from each country to be exchanged as part of this exchange.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov confirmed that Moscow had handed over its list to Kyiv and was awaiting its response. Later, Peskov reported that Russia had also received the Ukrainian prisoner list.

And the Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, confirmed on Wednesday that his administration had already drawn up the list of names of the Ukrainian prisoners of war held captive in Russia who must be included in the exchange.

Russians and Ukrainians agreed to carry out the largest prisoner exchange since the start of the war in February 2022 in their first direct negotiations in three years, which was hosted by the Turkish city of Istanbul.

In addition, Russia announced after the end of the talks an agreement with Ukraine to study a future ceasefire and a possible summit between the presidents of both countries.

The second round of direct negotiations between the parties could be held in the Vatican, although Moscow and Kyiv have not yet confirmed this information.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]