Monday, May 18, 2026

A congressional candidate who had received prior threats is murdered in Peru

  • aplicacion - banner 728px

Lima.- The congressional candidate Gilbert Infante, from the Fe en el Perú party, was murdered on Tuesday night in the Lima district of Chorrillos, announced this Wednesday the presidential candidate of said formation, Álvaro Paz de la Barra.

The leader of the political party, which has less than 1% in voting intention, stated in several local programs that Infante, number 25 on the list to Congress of Faith in Peru, was murdered "brutally" on Tuesday night when leaving a party activity in said district, located in the south of the capital. "He has been murdered with bricks, they had already told him that they were not going to kill him with firearms but that he was going to suffer, just like that," said Paz de la Barra. The presidential candidate, who participated on Tuesday night in the national electoral debate, detailed that Infante was seriously injured in the street and died at the Casimiro Ulloa Hospital, in Miraflores. We recommend reading: "I was just going to see those who have accompanied us outside the (presidential) debate. Today, just at five in the morning, I learned from his wife and family that, leaving (he was murdered). It's not an accident, it's an assassination," he added. «They used to tell him 'you are going to die slowly, just as your president says that we in prison are going to get life sentences'», said the presidential candidate.

Violence in the Peruvian Elections

In addition, Paz de la Barra added that along with the victim, other party members have received threats but chose not to report them to the National Police. «He (Infante) has been threatened, (…) he came to my house together with everyone else who has been threatened. They have been showing me their messages», he pointed out. A month ago, Infante pointed out in an interview that to combat the crime that plagues the Andean country, decision is needed and affirmed that his party can pacify and defeat the country "in 100 days with political decision and a strong hand." In his resume submitted to the National Elections Jury (JNE), the congressional candidate included hardly any data, only that he had worked at the defunct Banco del Trabajo and at the Consorcio G&T Construction Corporation Outsourcing SAC, and that he had served a sentence in 2004, without specifying for what crime.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]