Tuesday, May 19, 2026

A UN peacekeeper in Lebanon dies in an attack

A blue helmet of the United Nations peacekeeping force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) died and another was seriously injured in an "attack of unknown origin", as reported early this Monday by the organization itself of the UN. «A blue helmet was tragically killed at night when a projectile exploded at a UNIFIL base near Adchit Al Qusayr», in southern Lebanon, while «another was seriously injured», the peacekeeping force posted on X. The organization said it "did not know the origin of the projectile" and had begun an investigation to determine the circumstances in which the death occurred.

The Attacks in Southern Lebanon

Southern Lebanon is under constant bombardment by Israel, in its offensive against the Shiite group Hezbollah, which joined the conflict in the Middle East to support Iran and in turn attack the Jewish State.
Líbano ONU
Un miembro de las fuerzas de paz de la UNIFIL de Nepal observa la frontera libanesa-israelí, en una fotografía de archivo. EFE/EPA/Wael Hamzeh
The Lebanese National News Agency (NNA) previously reported that the spokesperson for the UN mission, Kandice Ardiel, communicated that a projectile had exploded in that same location, "wounding several peacekeepers."

Recommended reading: Pakistan will host talks between the US and Iran after receiving the backing of partners

Ardiel had already reported last week that projectiles and missile debris had hit UNIFIL headquarters, putting the mission "at risk". Tonight, new Israeli bombings on the town of Chaqra, in the south of the country, caused the death of five people, according to a statement from the Ministry of Health reported by the ANN. According to the latest official count, the Israeli offensive against Lebanon has killed 1,189 people and injured 3,427.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]