Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Trump administration dismantles aid program for low-income immigrants, according to CBS

  • aplicacion - banner 728px

Los Ángeles.- The government of President Donald Trump has dismantled a long-standing Department of Justice program that helps low-income immigrants have competent and affordable legal representation in immigration matters, according to CBS News. The Recognition and Accreditation (R&A) Program, which has been operating for over 60 years, accredits non-attorney workers from legal defense organizations to assist immigrants with most immigration procedures. The goal of the initiative is to increase the availability of "competent" legal representation in immigration matters for low-income and indigent individuals, thereby promoting an effective and efficient administration of justice, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. However, multiple sources related to the subject told the television station that the lawyers assigned to the program were transferred last week to the Immigration courts, leaving only two support staff who do not have the authority to grant accreditations.
You can also read: Trump believes the Strait of Hormuz will open soon and proposes joint control by the U.S. and Iran
Under this initiative, which is part of the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), some 2,600 advocates from community organizations, such as Catholic Charities and Jewish Family Services, have been accredited to advise low-income foreigners who have pending procedures with immigration authorities. A government official Trump denied to the television station that the program was going to be abolished, since it is an initiative established by regulation. The Trump administration has already adopted several measures that make it more difficult or further restrict immigrants from advancing within the legal immigration system.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]