Friday, May 22, 2026

Nicolás Maduro is "very encouraged" two days before the second hearing of his trial, says his son

  • aplicacion - banner 728px

Caracas.- Venezuelan deputy Nicolás Maduro Guerra, son of Nicolás Maduro, assured this Monday that his father «is doing very well» and with «much encouragement», two days before his second trial hearing in the United States, where he is detained after having been captured by US troops last January.

"They are very well, strong, very well, very well, with a lot of spirit, with a lot of strength and we are going to see a thin, athletic president, he is exercising every day," Maduro Guerra pointed out in a video published on X by Telesur journalist Madelein García. The deputy said that the first lady, Cilia Flores, also captured last January, is "firm and alert". Likewise, he said that the trial hearing scheduled for next March 26 will serve to "continue to elevate the truth of Venezuela and the truth of the innocence of Maduro and Cilia." Maduro is accused of four charges: three of conspiracy to commit narcoterrorism, importing cocaine, and possessing machine guns and destructive devices; and a fourth crime of possessing those weapons.
We recommend reading:Switzerland freezes more than USD 880 million linked to Nicolás Maduro and his entourage
Flores, for her part, is accused of four other related charges: two of conspiracy to import cocaine, one of conspiracy to possess weapons, and one of possession of weapons.

Without resources to afford the defense?

On Thursday, Maduro and Flores reiterated before the federal court in New York that they have no resources to finance their defense in the drug trafficking case and stated that they are willing to present financial evidence if the judge requests it, to reinforce their request to dismiss the indictment. Lawyers Barry Pollack and Mark E. Donelly stated in a document sent to the judge, on behalf of their clients, that, according to the defense, the Prosecutor's Office recognizes the right of both to request that the Government of Venezuela pay for their defense. In addition, they included sworn statements from Maduro and Flores in which they claim they cannot afford their lawyers and express their willingness to present financial evidence if the court requires it.

So far, the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), of the Department of the Treasury, which administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions, has not authorized the Government of Venezuela to pay its lawyers, which, they allege in a document sent to federal judge Alvin Hellerstein, interferes with the right of both to choose their own legal team.

You can also read: Nicolás Maduro and Cilia Flores will appear before the New York court on March 26 OFAC has imposed economic sanctions on Venezuela since 2015 that sought to pressure for political change, and the U.S. Government does not recognize Maduro as the legitimate president of Venezuela.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Víctor Torres is appointed head of Titulación, Catastro y Registro Inmobiliario in FP

Santo Domingo. — The Fuerza del Pueblo announced the designation of civil engineer and surveyor Víctor Torres Rosa as head of the Real Estate Registry, Titling and Cadastre Secretariat, a structure considered strategic for strengthening legal security, territorial planning and the economic development of the Dominican Republic. The designation was officially communicated by the Political […]

CONSTRUEXPO 2026 announces reforms to streamline construction and a new sectoral alliance

Punta Cana.- CONSTRUEXPO 2026 officially inaugurated its 18th edition at the Convention Center of Blue Mall Punta Cana, in a context where the Eastern region is consolidating as one of the main poles of real estate, tourism, and urban development investment in the Caribbean. The official opening was led by the Minister of Housing, Habitat […]

Nicotine vapes triple the chances of quitting smoking

Nicotine vapers can triple the chances of smokers successfully quitting traditional cigarettes, as well as exposing them to fewer harmful chemicals, according to a new study. Smokers who started using a nicotine e-cigarette were more than three times more likely to quit smoking in six weeks, compared to those who used an identical e-cigarette without […]

PUCMM releases the work “Current Panorama of the Caribbean 2024-2026”

The work warns that, in a context marked by political tensions, the main problems facing the Caribbean are the decline in public trust, irregular migration, violence, and transnational crime. Santo Domingo.- The Caribbean Studies Center of the Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) released the book “Current Panorama of the Caribbean 2024-2026”, a publication […]

Agenda for the day: Friday, May 22, 2026

Santo Domingo.-  These are the most relevant activities scheduled for Friday, May 22, 2026 in the main cities of the Dominican territory. Today's Agenda: 10:00 a.m. Session "The District is changing: FEDA in your community". Location: Salvador Dali School, North Sabana. 02:00 p.m. Meeting with beneficiary families in the Espaillat province of Supérate. Location: San […]

Japan creates a chip that could change the speed of computers without generating heat

A group of researchers in Japan has presented a breakthrough that could transform the computing industry: an experimental chip that promises to increase processing speed up to a thousand times compared to current technology, avoiding the problem of excess heat that limits traditional processors. This development, created at the University of Tokyo and published in […]