Washington.- U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated this Monday that the large-scale military operation launched on Saturday against Iran was a "preventive" move, since, according to him, the Islamic Republic was preparing to attack U.S. positions in the region first.
"If we waited for that attack to arrive before hitting them, we would suffer many more casualties," he told the press before a private session with congressmen to brief them on the operation.You may be interested in: http://Iranian Revolutionary Guard: "The Strait of Hormuz has been closed, we will attack and burn any ship that passes through it"
According to the Secretary of State, Washington knew that Israel was preparing to attack Iran and that Tehran was going to respond with bombings against US bases in the Middle East. Therefore, he affirmed, President Donald Trump made the "wise decision" to strike first, he said. "We knew there would be an Israeli action. We knew that would precipitate an attack against American forces, and we knew that if we didn't pursue them preemptively before they launched those attacks, we would suffer more casualties," he said. The head of US diplomacy offered this justification before entering a private session on Iran in Congress, where the Trump administration has been questioned for launching a broad operation against the Persian country without previously requesting authorization from the Legislative Branch, which is the body with the power to declare war. Israel and the United States launched a large-scale attack against Iran on Saturday, in which the supreme leader of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in power since 1989, died. Tehran has responded with air strikes against Israel and countries in the region that have US military bases. Trump has vowed that the offensive against Iran will continue until its entire missile program, Navy, and nuclear capabilities are destroyed.






