Thursday, May 21, 2026

Nicolás Maduro is "very encouraged" two days before the second hearing of his trial, says his son

Caracas.- Venezuelan deputy Nicolás Maduro Guerra, son of Nicolás Maduro, assured this Monday that his father «is doing very well» and with «much encouragement», two days before his second trial hearing in the United States, where he is detained after having been captured by US troops last January.

"They are very well, strong, very well, very well, with a lot of spirit, with a lot of strength and we are going to see a thin, athletic president, he is exercising every day," Maduro Guerra pointed out in a video published on X by Telesur journalist Madelein García. The deputy said that the first lady, Cilia Flores, also captured last January, is "firm and alert". Likewise, he said that the trial hearing scheduled for next March 26 will serve to "continue to elevate the truth of Venezuela and the truth of the innocence of Maduro and Cilia." Maduro is accused of four charges: three of conspiracy to commit narcoterrorism, importing cocaine, and possessing machine guns and destructive devices; and a fourth crime of possessing those weapons.
We recommend reading:Switzerland freezes more than USD 880 million linked to Nicolás Maduro and his entourage
Flores, for her part, is accused of four other related charges: two of conspiracy to import cocaine, one of conspiracy to possess weapons, and one of possession of weapons.

Without resources to afford the defense?

On Thursday, Maduro and Flores reiterated before the federal court in New York that they have no resources to finance their defense in the drug trafficking case and stated that they are willing to present financial evidence if the judge requests it, to reinforce their request to dismiss the indictment. Lawyers Barry Pollack and Mark E. Donelly stated in a document sent to the judge, on behalf of their clients, that, according to the defense, the Prosecutor's Office recognizes the right of both to request that the Government of Venezuela pay for their defense. In addition, they included sworn statements from Maduro and Flores in which they claim they cannot afford their lawyers and express their willingness to present financial evidence if the court requires it.

So far, the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), of the Department of the Treasury, which administers and enforces economic and trade sanctions, has not authorized the Government of Venezuela to pay its lawyers, which, they allege in a document sent to federal judge Alvin Hellerstein, interferes with the right of both to choose their own legal team.

You can also read: Nicolás Maduro and Cilia Flores will appear before the New York court on March 26 OFAC has imposed economic sanctions on Venezuela since 2015 that sought to pressure for political change, and the U.S. Government does not recognize Maduro as the legitimate president of Venezuela.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Cabo Rojo Airport would be ready in February 2027

The Minister of the Presidency, José Ignacio Paliza, reported this Thursday that the construction of the Cabo Rojo International Airport is progressing according to the established schedule and assured that the work will be completed by February 2027. During a supervisory visit in Pedernales province, the official highlighted that the project, in its mature stage, […]

Business owners call on congressmen to prudently review the current labor code reform

The National Organization of Commercial Enterprises (ONEC) urged lawmakers to review with prudence, openness, and a sense of economic reality the labor code reform project, warning that some changes and omissions could distance the country from a truly modern, balanced labor reform aimed at generating formal employment. The entity expressed concern because consensus reached during […]

“Bad Black” one of the alleged aggressors of the TRAE driver in Santo Domingo Oeste is delivered

Santo Domingo.- The National Police reported the voluntary surrender of Gregory González (Negro Malo), identified as one of the alleged motorcyclists involved in the assault against a driver of the National Student Transportation System (TRAE), which occurred this morning in the El Café de Herrera sector, in Santo Domingo Oeste. According to preliminary investigations, González […]

International 22q11 Syndrome Day: awareness about an underdiagnosed genetic condition

Every May 22nd, International 22q11 Syndrome Day is commemorated, a date dedicated to raising awareness about this rare genetic condition, considered one of the most common chromosomal alterations after Down syndrome. The 22q11 syndrome, also known as DiGeorge syndrome or velocardiofacial syndrome, occurs due to the absence of a small part of chromosome 22. This […]

Tourism begins construction of a photo-op park-parador in Las Clavellinas, Azua

Azua.– The Minister of Tourism, David Collado, initiated this Thursday the construction work of a photographic park-parador in the municipal district Las Clavellinas, Azua province, with an investment of RD$22,172,000. The work is part of the interventions carried out by the Ministry of Tourism in different communities of the country with the aim of promoting […]

World Pac-Man Day. Arcade video game created by video game designer Tōru Iwatani

May 22nd is World Pac-Man Day, in honor of the 1980 release in the United States of the iconic arcade video game created by Japanese designer Tōru Iwatani. Developed by the company Namco, Pac-Man revolutionized the electronic entertainment industry thanks to its innovative design and simple but addictive dynamic. The yellow character, who must navigate […]