Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Moscow decrees orange alert due to heavy snowfall

Moscow.- Moscow authorities decreed this Thursday an orange climate alert (the penultimate level) due to the intense snowfall forecast for Thursday night and Friday, according to the Russian Meteorological Service. "The level was raised to orange, which means dangerous weather conditions, with the probability of natural disasters and damage," a representative of the entity told the Russian agency TASS.

Read more: Putin inaugurates the new National Space Center in Moscow

He added that this alert level will be maintained until midnight on January 10, as "heavy, occasionally strong and prolonged snowfall is expected, as well as blizzards, thick layers of snow and ice on the roads." He indicated that the wind gusts, with a northeast direction, will reach speeds of up to 18 meters per second. The yellow alert level had already been decreed previously. The meteorological services explained this increase in rainfall with the influence of a cyclone from the Mediterranean, whose center will reach the west of central Russia on Saturday, and the drop in atmospheric pressure. By this Thursday, the snow cover in Moscow reached a thickness of 30 centimeters, described as a 'record' by Russian meteorologist Mikhail Leus. "Moscow repeated the record snowfall of the current winter," it was noted on Telegram, announcing that in the coming days this level could increase by 10 to 20 centimeters. For their part, the cleaning services of the Russian capital "continue working uninterruptedly in the collection of snow from the city", as stated on Telegram. "According to meteorologists' forecasts, the weather will worsen sharply in the second half of January 8. In the afternoon, an intense snowfall will begin, which will extend until the morning of January 10," they added.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Senate would approve labor reform without modifying severance pay issue

By: Linda Veras Santo Domingo.- The President of the Senate of the Republic, Ricardo de los Santos, assured the union organizations that the reform to the Labor Code will be approved as it arrives from the Chamber of Deputies, without altering what refers to severance. The information was offered after a meeting between union representatives […]

Government freezes fuels and LPG with a subsidy of RD$1,657 million

The Ministry of Industry, Commerce and SMEs (MICM) reported that the Dominican Government, through a subsidy of RD$1.657 billion, will keep the main fuels frozen for the week of May 9 to 15, as part of its plan to mitigate the impact of the current international crisis. For that week, regular and premium gasoline, optimal […]

Accounting Chamber records a 1,100% increase in citizen complaints in the first quarter of 2026

Santo Domingo. – The Chamber of Accounts of the Dominican Republic (CCRD) registered a significant and unprecedented growth in the reception of citizen complaints during the year 2026, consolidating itself as a channel increasingly used by the population to ensure the proper use of public resources. Between January and April 2026, the institution received a […]

Great-grandfather of boy found dead in Hato Damas says more than 1 young person involved in the incident

Hato Damas, San Cristóbal.- Ciprián Pineda, great-grandfather of the child Raudier Steben Martínez Corporán, 10 years old, demanded this Friday justice for the death of the minor and asked that the case be taken “to the ultimate consequences”, indicating that more than 1 young person is involved. Amidst the pain that engulfs the family while […]

Social sectors call for peaceful strike in Las Galeras due to construction of polyclinic and road asphalting

Las Galeras. Social sectors of the municipal district of Las Galeras called for this Sunday a peaceful strike starting at 6:00 in the morning, in claim to the National Health Service (SNS) so that the process of construction of the polyclinic of the community of Rincón continues. Likewise, the protest call is also directed at […]

The IBEX 35 falls 0.95% and loses the 18,000 mark amid attacks from the US and Iran in Hormuz

Madrid.– The Ibex 35 registered a downward close this Friday, pressured by the increase in geopolitical tensions between the United States and Iran and the rise in the price of Brent oil, which again stood above 100 dollars per barrel. The main index of the Spanish Stock Exchange fell by around 0.9%, on a day […]