China installs a new floating barrier in a reef disputed with the Philippines

Beijing.- China has deployed a new floating barrier in Scarborough Shoal, a disputed territory with the Philippines in the South China Sea, according to satellite images analyzed by experts and released by space observation companies, amid growing tensions between the two countries. The image, captured by the geospatial company Satellogic and distributed by the American firm SkyFi, shows a structure that blocks the entrance to the reef lagoon, known as Huangyan in China and Bajo de Masinloc or Panatag Shoal in the Philippines. Neither the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs nor the Philippine Coast Guard immediately responded to inquiries about the incident, according to the Hong Kong newspaper South China Morning Post, which released the information this Wednesday. "New satellite imagery shows an illegal floating barrier installed by the People's Republic of China at the mouth of Scarborough Shoal," said Luke Fischer, CEO of SkyFi, on social media.

You can read: Pentagon will give access to journalists from conservative media

According to Ray Powell, maritime security expert and director of the SeaLight project, who analyzed the high-resolution images, the photograph dates from October 8th. "It's not the first time China has installed a barrier on the reef; the intention seems to be to restrict access to the lagoon," he said. The reef, located about 220 kilometers west of the Philippine island of Luzon, has been under Beijing's control since a naval standoff with Manila in 2012 and has been a recurring scene of clashes between coast guards of both countries. Last week, China claimed to have "expelled" two Philippine reconnaissance aircraft near the atoll, a day after Manila denounced "aggressive interference" by a Chinese helicopter and fighter jet during a routine flight. Furthermore, in September, Beijing announced its intention to declare Scarborough Shoal a nature reserve, a move rejected by the Philippines, which considers the enclave to be within its exclusive economic zone. The Chinese think tank South China Sea Strategic Situation Probing Initiative defended on social media that the new installation would be "a response to the provocative behavior of the Philippines" and that "China has the right to act within its sovereignty." Manila and Beijing maintain sovereignty disputes in the South China Sea, through which around 30% of global trade circulates and which houses 12% of the world's fishing grounds, in addition to having potential oil and gas deposits. Despite the 2016 ruling by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, which favored the Philippines in its fight for sovereignty over some of the disputed islands and reefs, Beijing continues to claim almost the entire sea. Since the arrival of Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to power in 2022, the Philippines has shown more firmness in the defense of its territory, against the claims of practically the entire sea by China, airing its complaints about the frequent clashes between ships of both countries.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Peru's new interim president is cited as an accused in a corruption trial

Lima.- The new interim president of Peru, the leftist José María Balcázar, is summoned to appear as an accused in a trial where he is accused of allegedly having appropriated funds from the Bar Association of which he was dean. The Superior Court of Justice of Lambayeque, a region on the northern coast of Peru, […]

The US seeks to revoke the citizenship of a former Haitian mayor accused of immigration fraud

Miami (USA).- The United States Department of Justice filed a civil lawsuit this Friday seeking to revoke the U.S. citizenship of former North Miami Mayor Philippe Bien-Aime, born in Haiti, accusing him of having obtained it fraudulently. The Prosecution detailed in a statement that the former president used two identities to obtain immigration benefits after […]

The death toll rises to ten and the injured to 30 due to Israeli attacks against this of Lebanon

Beirut.- At least ten people died and 30 others were injured this Friday in an Israeli bombing against a building in the town of Riyaq, in eastern Lebanon, as part of a wave of attacks against alleged headquarters of the Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah in the Bekaa Valley. The National News Agency of Lebanon (NNA) […]

The millionaire compensation that some Epstein victims would receive from his estate

Jeffrey Epstein's estate administrators agreed to pay up to $35 million to settle a lawsuit that accuses them of allegedly facilitating the late sex offender's network of abuse and sexual trafficking of women, reports Reuters. The agreement was announced through a document filed by the law firm representing the plaintiffs before a federal court in […]

They capture the "invisible narco" in Medellín in a joint operation between Colombia and Spain

Bogotá.- The Colombian Police and the Spanish Civil Guard arrested in Medellín Jhon Henry González Herrera, alias Medio Labio, identified as one of the main financial operators of the Clan del Golfo, the largest criminal gang in the South American country, and considered an "invisible narco", authorities in Colombia and Spain reported this Friday. The […]

Iran warns US it will "respond" if it uses "the language of force"

New York.- Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned US President Donald Trump this Friday that Iran "will respond" in the same way to the US if it uses "the language of force", while Washington continues to consider a military attack against Tehran. "If you speak to the Iranian people with the language of respect, we […]