Ángel Martínez arrested for extortion and blackmail

Santo Domingo.- Ángel Martínez was arrested this morning by virtue of a court order for criminal offenses such as extortion and blackmail accompanied by injury, which according to article 254 of the Dominican Penal Code could be punished by 4 to 10 years in prison.

According to the authorities, the detective was transferred to the New City Courthouse and tomorrow he will be taken to the city of Santiago where coercive measures will be known to him.

You may be interested in: Faride sues Ingrid Jorge and Ángel Martínez

Ángel Martínez currently has over 20 complaints registered against him for various criminal offenses, including defamation, insult, money laundering, extortion, blackmail, and association with wrongdoers.

According to unofficial information, the Public Ministry could be summoning other people involved in the alleged blackmail industry through digital platforms along with Detective Martínez, and it is said they are linked to emerging media, politics, and the private sector.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Once again! Hearing against Jean Alain Rodríguez postponed to February 25

Santo Domingo.- The justice postponed the hearing scheduled for February 25 against former Attorney General of the Republic Jean Alain Rodríguez Sánchez for alleged administrative corruption, the Public Ministry reported this Wednesday. Court attorney Mirna Ortiz told the press that Alain Rodriguez's defense is "weak and disorganized" and continues to present "weak arguments" against the […]

Gynecologists who have been brought to justice for sexual abuse allegations in the country

Santo Domingo.- In recent years, several gynecologists have been brought to justice in the Dominican Republic following reports of sexual abuse filed by patients during medical consultations. The cases have been known in courts of different jurisdictions and have led to arrests, coercive measures, and convictions. The most recent case is that of doctor Wilbert […]

Convict recaptured after fleeing Moca court following double homicide sentence

Santo Domingo.- The Public Ministry reported the capture of Orlando Fabián Ángeles, alias “Orlandito”, who had escaped last year from a Moca court after being sentenced to 30 years in prison for the death of a man and a girl. The arrest was carried out by the Fugitives, Rebels and Convicts Capture Unit (Ucaprec) through […]

Public Health closes medical center linked to doctor accused of abuse in SFM

San Francisco de Macorís .- The Ministry of Public Health ordered the closure of the Centro Galeno Diagnóstico Las Guáranas (Cegadig), owned by the doctor Wilbert Polanco Sanz, accused of sexual abuse in San Francisco de Macorís. According to information released by the Agenda 56 portal, the professional not only offered consultations as a general […]

New driver's license will be issued to the public starting March 2nd

Santo Domingo.- The National Institute of Transit and Land Transportation (Intrant) will begin on Monday, March 2, the issuance to the general public of the new driver's license, as part of the system modernization process. Within the framework of this transition, President Luis Abinader will receive his new document on February 26. The new license […]

Obstacles persist for Dominicans to travel to Europe without a Schengen visa

Santo Domingo.- Despite the economic dynamism of the Dominican Republic, its citizens still need a Schengen visa to enter European countries such as Spain, Italy, and France. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Roberto Álvarez, explained that this restriction primarily responds to the low confidence that Dominican documents generate before European authorities. He indicated that the […]