Saturday, February 21, 2026

Díaz-Canel warns the US that there will be no understanding with "coercion"

Havana.- The President of Cuba, Miguel Díaz-Canel, warned this Friday to the U.S. that there will be no possible understanding or negotiation with "coercion" and indicated that his country is willing to "dialogue", but on "equal terms" and with "respect".

This day, the second and last of tribute after the arrival in the country of the remains of the 32 island soldiers who died during the American operation, was crowned with a massive act of reaffirmation at the Anti-Imperialist Tribune, between the US embassy and the Havana seawall. Díaz-Canel once again attacked the administration of the U.S. president, Donald Trump, in a speech with markedly nationalistic, belligerent tones.

"Imperialist gentlemen, we have absolutely no fear of you... We don't like, as Fidel [Castro, former president of the island] said, being threatened. They are not going to intimidate us," he said in front of thousands of military personnel, state workers, and supporters of the Executive. The president pointed his finger several times, from the podium, at the American embassy.

The act, in which several thousand people participated, was headed by Díaz-Canel and other high-ranking officials of the Government, the Army and the Communist Party of Cuba (PCC, the only legal one). Unlike yesterday, former President Raúl Castro was not present on this occasion.
Díaz-Canel warns the US that there will be no understanding with "coercion" | De Último Minuto English

"There is no surrender or capitulation possible"

After the speech, a March of the Fighting People began, an initiative loaded with symbolism that rescued the pro-government mobilizations devised in the midst of the Cold War by former President Fidel Castro for moments of greatest tension with Washington. The last one organized was, precisely, in December 2024, in response to Trump's victory and the escalation of rhetoric in the Florida Straits. It was the first time in decades that a march of this type had been held. But the symbolism went further. Díaz-Canel wore the olive green uniform of the head of the National Defense Council (CDN), as he did the day before when receiving the coffins, something that, according to the law, can only be done in states of war and emergency, or in case of general mobilization. In the Government's activities to honor the military personnel who died in Venezuela, the discourse of confrontation with the «enemy» and the «imperialists» has relegated to the background the mourning and sadness for the death of the Cuban military personnel in Caracas. "There is no surrender or capitulation possible, nor any kind of understanding on the basis of coercion or intimidation. Cuba does not have to make any political concessions, nor will that ever be on a negotiating table for an understanding between Cuba and the United States," said the Cuban president. Díaz-Canel spoke in historical terms in the face of Trump's threat. He did not rule out a possible attack but assured that, if it were to happen, Cubans would fight "fiercely", as in "the wars for independence in the 19th century, the Sierra Maestra, the clandestine struggle, Africa and even Caracas in this 21st century".

Cubans in Venezuela

The ruling party has markedly hardened its tone towards Washington after confirming the death of the 32 "combatants" during the attacks in Venezuela on January 3rd. Many analysts had pointed out that Maduro's first personal security circle was mainly made up of Cubans, something that Caracas and Havana had never confirmed. A 2022 report by the UN Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Venezuela (FFMV) concluded, after analyzing "confidential written agreements" between Caracas and Havana, that this collaboration dates back to 2006.

Trump warned Cuba on Sunday that it would no longer receive money or oil from Venezuela, noting that the island has been «living for years» thanks to money and crude oil from the South American country in exchange for «security services» for the «last two dictators», referring to Maduro and his predecessor, Hugo Chávez.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Peru's new interim president is cited as an accused in a corruption trial

Lima.- The new interim president of Peru, the leftist José María Balcázar, is summoned to appear as an accused in a trial where he is accused of allegedly having appropriated funds from the Bar Association of which he was dean. The Superior Court of Justice of Lambayeque, a region on the northern coast of Peru, […]

The US seeks to revoke the citizenship of a former Haitian mayor accused of immigration fraud

Miami (USA).- The United States Department of Justice filed a civil lawsuit this Friday seeking to revoke the U.S. citizenship of former North Miami Mayor Philippe Bien-Aime, born in Haiti, accusing him of having obtained it fraudulently. The Prosecution detailed in a statement that the former president used two identities to obtain immigration benefits after […]

The death toll rises to ten and the injured to 30 due to Israeli attacks against this of Lebanon

Beirut.- At least ten people died and 30 others were injured this Friday in an Israeli bombing against a building in the town of Riyaq, in eastern Lebanon, as part of a wave of attacks against alleged headquarters of the Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah in the Bekaa Valley. The National News Agency of Lebanon (NNA) […]

The millionaire compensation that some Epstein victims would receive from his estate

Jeffrey Epstein's estate administrators agreed to pay up to $35 million to settle a lawsuit that accuses them of allegedly facilitating the late sex offender's network of abuse and sexual trafficking of women, reports Reuters. The agreement was announced through a document filed by the law firm representing the plaintiffs before a federal court in […]

They capture the "invisible narco" in Medellín in a joint operation between Colombia and Spain

Bogotá.- The Colombian Police and the Spanish Civil Guard arrested in Medellín Jhon Henry González Herrera, alias Medio Labio, identified as one of the main financial operators of the Clan del Golfo, the largest criminal gang in the South American country, and considered an "invisible narco", authorities in Colombia and Spain reported this Friday. The […]

Iran warns US it will "respond" if it uses "the language of force"

New York.- Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned US President Donald Trump this Friday that Iran "will respond" in the same way to the US if it uses "the language of force", while Washington continues to consider a military attack against Tehran. "If you speak to the Iranian people with the language of respect, we […]