Sunday, May 24, 2026

Rubio says the US will respond "accordingly" after Cuba's attack on a boat

Washington.- U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated this Wednesday that his country will respond "accordingly" once it has all the details about the Cuban operation against a boat from Florida, which left four dead.

"I am not going to speculate or give an opinion; I want to know what happened. We are going to find out exactly what happened and we will respond accordingly", he declared to the press during a summit of the Caribbean Community (Caricom) held in Saint Kitts and Nevis.

You may be interested in: http://La Policía cubana mata a cuatro tripulantes de una embarcación civil de EEUU

Rubio pointed out that all the data known so far comes from the Cuban authorities and stated that the Donald Trump Administration wants to verify what happened through "independent information". The head of US diplomacy denied having held talks with the Cuban government on this matter and ruled out the participation of US government personnel in the shooting. He affirmed that the U.S. embassy in Havana has requested access to the survivors of the boat, allegedly U.S. citizens, to learn about their situation. "We will independently verify and, as we gather more information, we will be prepared to respond accordingly," he said. According to the Cuban Ministry of the Interior, the Cuban Border Guard killed four crew members of a speedboat from the United States this Wednesday who did not obey when ordered to stop in territorial waters and opened fire on the police vessel. The official statement also indicated that six other people from the speedboat were injured in the exchange, as well as "the commander of the Cuban vessel", in which a total of five people were patrolling. The incident occurred in the morning of this Wednesday, when the Cuban authorities detected "an infringing speedboat within Cuban territorial waters with Florida, United States, registration FL7726SH". Florida Attorney General James Uthmeier announced the opening of an investigation following the attack and assured that "communists will be held accountable." According to The New York Times, the attacked boat was not part of a flotilla nor did it belong to the Coast Guard or the United States Navy. The same newspaper pointed out that it appears to be a Pro-Line motorboat of about seven meters, built in 1981 and usually used as a fishing boat with a capacity of about ten crew members. The incident occurs amid high tension between the United States and Cuba, after Washington imposed an oil embargo on the island and urged Havana to reach an agreement. In recent years, several incidents of this type have been reported, two of them from the year 2022. In one case, a speedboat from the U.S. fired at Cuban border guard forces near Villa Clara and wounded a Cuban officer.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Donald Trump canceled the trip to go to his son's wedding amid the uncertainty over the war in the Middle East

Donald Trump canceled his attendance at his son's wedding Donald Trump Jr. in the Bahamas and interrupted a weekend trip to New Jersey to remain at the White House, according to the president himself this Friday through his Truth Social network, alleging “circumstances related to the government”. "Although I really wanted to be with my son, Don […]

Tension in Bolivia: protests continue in La Paz and there were new clashes between protesters and police

Bolivia registered a new day of massive protests in La Paz that left clashes between protesters and riot police, with tear gas, stones and dynamite cartridges, in an escalation of pressure to demand the resignation of President Rodrigo Paz, as confirmed by the AFP agency. Farmers, workers, miners, transporters, and teachers —many of them with helmets, ponchos, and indigenous […]

What function can you activate by touching the Apple on your iPhone?

Apple incorporated in its iPhone a function that facilitates access to essential tools through gestures on the back of the device. One of the most practical utilities is the possibility of turning on the flashlight with just two taps in the area where the apple characteristic of the Apple logo is located. This function, initially designed for accessibility, has become […]

One month after the femicide of Junieysis Adely Merlo: Her family breaks the silence and travels to Costa Rica for justice

It has been just over a month since pain and uncertainty definitively settled in the home of the Merlo Espinoza family. On April 9th, the Judicial Investigation Organization (OIJ) of Costa Rica made the macabre discovery of the lifeless body of Junieysis Adely Merlo Espinoza, a young Nicaraguan woman and well-known tiktoker, who was buried […]

¿Who is Heber Argueta? The man Honduras links to the CJNG after police massacre

The name of Heber Argueta went from moving in silence within intelligence reports to becoming one of the most wanted in Honduras after the failed operation in Corinto, Omoa, where five agents of the DIPAMPCO were killed during an ambush attributed to drug trafficking structures. Honduran authorities maintain that Argueta would be a criminal operator […]

The UN charges against Israel for the detention and mistreatment of the Gaza flotilla and calls for accountability

New York.- UN Secretary-General António Guterres on Friday criticized the Israeli government for the detention and mistreatment of activists on the Gaza flotilla, which he defined as «humiliating», and called for those responsible to be held accountable. This was explained by Guterres' spokesman, Stéphane Dujarric, when asked about the detention of more than 400 activists […]