Tuesday, February 17, 2026

They will go up to their second week without internet access as the victims of the repression multiply.

Iran is going through its second consecutive week under an internet blackout, a measure imposed by the theocratic regime on January 8th, which seeks to restrict the flow of information and hide the extent of the repression against the protests that shook the country at the beginning of the year. The cut keeps a large part of the population without access to the global network and with severely limited communications.

The organization NetBlocks, which monitors connectivity worldwide, reported that the country completed 14 days of national blackout.

"Iran has been under a nationwide internet shutdown for two full weeks," the group noted on social media X. According to their measurements, connectivity levels "remain practically flat," with only "a slight increase in networks authorized by the regime."

In recent days, some users managed to sporadically connect to external services, although in a limited and discontinuous manner. NetBlocks indicated that "a few users can now open tunnels to the outside", without detailing the methods used, and suggested that the Iranian regime would be testing a connectivity system based on "whitelists", restricted to previously approved sites and services.

The crackdown began on the night of January 8, when a wave of protests spread through several Iranian cities. The demonstrations, initiated weeks earlier by merchants affected by the depreciation of the rial, quickly turned into slogans against the Islamic Republic and reached their peak on January 8 and 9, with a strong response from the security forces.

You can also read: At least 3,117 people have died in the protests in Iran, according to the first official report

According to a statement from the Foundation of Martyrs and Veterans, 3,117 people died during the protests. The organization distinguished between “martyrs”, a category it attributed to members of the security forces and civilians unrelated to the protests, and “rooters”, whom it linked to the United States. Of the total reported, 2,427 were classified as “martyrs”.

Human rights organizations, however, question those figures and maintain that the majority of deaths were caused by direct shots from security forces against protesters. Some estimates raise the number of deaths to several thousand more and even warn that it could far exceed the official data. These groups denounce that the digital blackout hinders the collection of evidence and the independent verification of the facts.

In the spotlight

  • aplicacion - banner 300px

  • banner altices 300x250 junio 2025

Explore more

Trump says he has "nothing to hide" regarding Epstein and that he is "exonerated"

New York.- US President Donald Trump said on Monday that he has "nothing to hide" regarding the deceased sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and assured that he is "exonerated", as opposed to former President Bill Clinton and "many other Democrats". "I have nothing to hide. I have been exonerated. I have nothing to do with Jeffrey […]

Trump says the Peace Board will work with the UN "in some cases"

New York.- US President Donald Trump said on Monday that the Peace Board he created to resolve conflicts will work with the United Nations "in some cases," and reiterated that the entity will go "beyond Gaza," focusing on "peace around the world." Trump announced this Sunday that the member countries of the Peace Board will […]

Expansion of the Villa Altagracia aqueduct guarantees potable water to more than 73,000 inhabitants

San Cristóbal.- The expansion of the Villa Altagracia aqueduct represents a milestone in the management of public services where more than 73,000 inhabitants now have access to a stable and sustainable source of drinking water. This work, inaugurated by President Luis Abinader, not only responds to a historical local demand, but also changes the landscape […]

A frog from southern Ecuador and northern Peru is at the center of the case of the Russian opposition figure Navalny

Quito.- The death of Russian opposition figure Alexei Navalny, which occurred in 2024, returned to the international debate following accusations from several European governments that he was poisoned with epibatidine, a toxin from a frog that lives between southwestern Ecuador and northern Peru. The governments of the United Kingdom, Sweden, France, Germany, and the Netherlands […]

Fuel crisis paralyzes services and worsens health risk in Cuba

Cuba.- The accumulation of garbage in the streets and avenues of Havana reflects the visible impact of the deep energy crisis the country is going through. The fuel shortage has largely paralyzed waste collection, generating pollution hotspots and raising the health risk for millions of people. In different neighborhoods of Havana, piles of waste, plastic […]

World Orofacial Motricity Day

February 17th is World Orofacial Motricity Day, with the aim of raising awareness about the importance of speech therapists in childhood to solve problems that may occur in children. The creation of World Orofacial Motricity Day took place during the II American and I Ibero-American Meeting of Orofacial Motricity, in the city of Lima, Peru, on […]